Monday, September 10, 2012

Blog #2: Biographical Criticism




I didn’t get a chance to explain in class so I would like to elaborate here. J

The meaning I got out of biographical criticism was that since authors tend to write about their interests and what is familiar to them, their life experiences and systems of meaning available at the time can be reflected in their work. Therefore, the interpretation of that work should be based on our understanding of its context. However, this is not always the case so you shouldn’t assume, such as when it is a work of fiction.

After watching the clip from Glory, a few things stood out to me. The character was thrown into a state of impeccable violence and put into a place of authority, making him responsible for so many lives at a very young and vulnerable age. I felt that this forced him to appear brave, while naively, or perhaps unknowingly, misleading his parents in the letter. This man was unaware of the realities of war and its consequences; I don’t think he knew what he was getting in to.

No comments:

Post a Comment